What we learned about digital video at JW Player’s 5th annual conference
At JW Insights 2018, we explored everything from video intelligence and machine learning to monetization strategies and actionable analytics. It was a very full day of discussions with 300+ industry registrants, and we’ve put together 12 key takeaways from some of the best panels, keynotes, and fireside chats. Take a look below.
Takeaways from JW Insights
1. Test everything and test outside the normal boundaries, so your video business is flexible and ready for inevitable change.
2. One of the major issues in the video ad industry is VAST/VPAID errors, but until VAST 4.0 is widely adopted, we’re stuck with them.
3. Every media brand and video provider should be invested in OTT.
4. Speed is the bedrock of video experience success
5. In the age of GDPR, informed explicit consent is critical.
6. Brand safety and trust in the ad ecosystem are a two-way street for buyers and sellers.
7. Blockchain holds promise but needs to evolve much more for true impact.
8. Data can help content creators optimize distribution, diagnose anomalies, and integrate feedback.
9. Don’t solely rely on YouTube and Facebook to gain viewers — take control of your owned and operated site.
10. Study your video’s performance via metrics, funnel down to what really matters to your business, and incrementally improve.
11. Machine learning will never fully replace human ingenuity but can expedite workflows.
12. Shorter ads might lower CPMs but also grow revenue with additional views.
Overheard at JW Player
- “Killer presentation by Rob Gill. The @Jwplayer 8.4 beta looks like a game changer for load times. great job. #jwinsights #contentlogistics”
- “If you look at our platform, 65% of the deals being transacted are direct and curated.”
- “Killer session learning about applying data signals within digital video at #jwinsights”
- “A great day at JW Insights 2018! An excellent line-up of speakers and moderators. As the media industry continues to transcend into the world of OTT & TVE, we will all benefit from these insights. Already looking forward to next year!”
- “80% of the internet in 2020 will be video and 10% of all online videos are through JW.”
- “Video is the future. It was great to hear from content creators, brands, and ad tech folks alike about the importance of video intel and analytics.”
Check out our JW Insights 2018 blog series here, including:
To learn more about how JW Player can support your video business, schedule time to speak with one of our video experts.